Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Leino Reborn

Ville Leino takes a look back on his rollercoaster season - "chances" and "confidence" being the key words.

"It definitely wasn't planned like this", he starts with a laugh, referring to the way he got the chance to play in the playoffs. It took injuries to key players Jeff Carter and Simon Gagné for Leino to get his chance in the top six role for the Flyers.

"It's been a tough season. My confidence was very low at times. It felt like I didn't know how to play hockey at all."

"When your confidence is low and the coach doesn't trust you, it's hard to play. Each mistake gets noticed and you start to be afraid of making those mistakes."

It didn't just magically change for the better after the trade from Detroit to Philadelphia.

"It's difficult to play when you have the feeling that each shift is crucial."

Injuries put him into the lineup, but getting a chance doesn't guarantee success yet.

There are a few reasons for Leino's success.

One is simply that Leino has always stepped up in the playoffs, be it the SM-Liiga, AHL or NHL. But why is that?

"I've always liked playing in the playoffs."

Leino also finds certain differences between regular season games and playoff games.

"Everyone is a little more cautious [in the playoffs]. If you're patient and manage to win one puck battle, it almost always results in a good scoring chance in the playoffs."

"It's not always like that in the regular season. But on the other hand I've never gotten a similar chance to play in the regular season than I have in the playoffs."

Now Leino has found his long lost confidence and the trust from his coach. The biggest reasons for his success.

"I enjoy playing. Even if I've made mistakes on the ice, everything is easier when I get a new chance. When the coach has kept putting me back on the ice, I've played well and gotten my confidence back."

Quotes from this week's issue of Veikkaaja.

No comments:

Post a Comment