Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kapanen leaves the game sad, broken, but excited

Sami Kapanen tells more about his decision to retire, describes his feelings and looks back on his career.

"I have mixed feelings. I had made the decision already earlier and I have processed it in my mind, but to say it in public, I get mixed feelings. I feel sad, but at the same time I'm excited and looking forward to my new job."

"I started thinking about retiring late last year, when I was having trouble with my back. I started getting the feeling that maybe this is that final year. It also motivated me to keep working and get my back in order."

"Early this year I made the final decision, I just didn't want to make it public yet. It didn't feel so sad then as it does now."

"When you go easier on yourself, you really feel how broken your body is. That also helped me get the feeling that this was the right decision."

Highlights of his long career?

"Right in the beginning of my career, getting to the finals with Kalpa in 1991 was unique to me. All the years on the national team, too; there's been success and of course the World Championship gold being the best. I also got to play in the Stanley Cup finals, those were unique games."

"The years in Philadelphia were very colorful and they gave me a lot. I really enjoyed playing there. And these last two years in Kuopio kind of crown it all. The games have gone well and it's been great to see the people in Kuopio find hockey again."

The biggest disappointments are the losses in the finals; against Detroit with the Hurricanes and the World Championship losses with Finland.

"Unfortunately it's very rare that you get to retire at the top and as a champion. I should've retired already in 1995", he jokes, referring to the World Championship gold with Finland.

He says it was clear that he would continue working in hockey after finishing his playing career.

"I'm very excited about the future."

No comments:

Post a Comment