Monday, August 9, 2010

Erik Gustafsson not in a hurry

Erik Gustafsson says it was a valuable experience for him to play with the Adirondack Phantoms at the end of last season. His instant success with the Phantoms caught him by surprise.

"Ha ha. I think I had scored seven goals total in three seasons before that. It was damn cool to be there and play and everyone was nice. I got to know them a little bit before this season and I also learned a little how some of them play."

Gustafsson was also given a chance to practice with the Flyers during the playoffs.

"I was totally nervous, and in the locker room I sat right next to Chris Pronger. I felt myself pretty small there then. But it was a lot of fun to be there."

Gustafsson says his training program has changed and looks a little different now that he's signed with the Flyers.

"There's a bunch of different training programs and other stuff. It's a little different to what I've been doing before so it's been cool to have some variation."

Gustafsson says his prospect camp was successful.

"The prospect camp went well and they were pleased. Now I'll be going over there and do my best. Then we'll see how far I can go. Hopefully I'll get to play in the NHL in a few years."

Gustafsson will likely play on the Phantoms, but he doesn't see it being a problem.

"That's not important. It's still a step forward for me compared to where I've played before. I also believe that it's a good thing to get to play a lot and gain experience rather than just play a few minutes in the NHL. Naturally I want to play at the highest level possible, but I'm not in a hurry."

Gustafsson signed with the Flyers in March, but he says it's still hard to believe it.

"It's totally surreal. Of course I'm happy, but the best thing in the end is that I can do what I love to do the most. I'm going to go as far as I can and then hopefully some day I will play in the NHL."

Source: ST

No comments:

Post a Comment